WHAT IS IUI Treatment?
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is an assisted reproductive technique that involves preparing sperm in a special solution and placing a small concentration of rapidly moving sperm directly into the uterus via a catheter when a woman is most fertile.
Since prepared sperm are placed directly into the uterus, IUI avoids exposure of the sperm to the cervical mucus. IUI injection is important in women with poor cervical mucus or those who have antisperm antibodies. Poor cervical mucus can prevent the sperm from swimming from the vagina to the uterus and antisperm antibodies can “kill” or incapacitate sperm.
People who benefit from IUI include:
- Couples with no known cause of infertility
- Couples in which the male has mild to moderate decreased semen quality
- Women with ovulatory disorders who respond well to fertility medication
- Women with mild endometriosis
- Women using donor sperm
- Couples who have infrequent intercourse
HOW MUCH DOES IUI TREATMENT TYPICALLY COST?
The cost of an IUI cycle ranges from $950-$3370 and depends on a variety of factors, including if it is a natural or medicated IUI cycle. This estimated range does not include fees for the initial consult, testing and medications.
Please contact a CCRM facility near you to schedule an appointment and receive a more accurate estimate for treatment.
THE IUI PROCESS
At CCRM Fertility, every patient’s journey is individualized. This following steps describe the IUI process in general terms, which may vary based on your specific treatment plan and response.
- The first step in the IUI process includes an evaluation, fertility testing and treatment planning.
- Typically, between days 3-5 of your menstrual cycle you will start medications to stimulate ovulation, if they have been prescribed by your doctor.
- Around day 10 of your cycle, you will return to the clinic for an ultrasound and potentially some blood work for monitoring. During this appointment, we’ll check on the development of your follicles, their size, and how close you are to ovulation.
- You may be instructed to test your urine at home to help indicate ovulation and you will call your nurse when ovulation is detected for additional instruction.
- You may be instructed to inject yourself with a trigger shot which will induce your ovulation, if needed.
- The next day or 2 days following your trigger shot you will return to our clinic for an IUI procedure.
- The male partner will provide a semen sample about an hour before the female partner undergoes the IUI procedure, or previously frozen sperm will be thawed at this time. The sperm are washed in a special solution that supports their health and facilitates the separation of the fast-moving sperm from the sluggish or non-moving sperm.
- The rapid sperm are concentrated into a small volume and placed into a small catheter which is introduced into the uterus with the sperm injected.
- This IUI procedure is relatively pain-free and does not require anesthesia. Some patients feel a cramp similar to a pap smear.
- After the IUI procedure, you are free to go about your normal daily routine, but should refrain from strenuous exercise. You will return to CCRM approximately 9-14 days later for a blood pregnancy test to confirm if your IUI was successful.
IUI Side Effects
How you can expect to feel during the IUI process depends on the types of medications you are prescribed, if any, and their specific side effects. Not every patient experiences all of these side effects, these are just some of the things that you could potentially feel as part of this process. If blurred vision occurs or any symptoms are progressive or concerning to you, contact your CCRM Fertility doctor.
- Breast tenderness
- Hot Flashes
- Injection site soreness
- Abdominal/pelvic discomfort
- Mood swings
IUI Success Stories
“Dr McKnight is extremely pleasant and knowledgeable, and she is well-supported by an incredible staff that shares these characteristics. They are very direct about plans, helping me make the best decisions, and guiding me expertly through all the steps of trying to get pregnant via IUI. I’d highly recommend this professional practice!” – Stephanie
“I had such a great experience with Dr. Knopman and CCRM! The CCRM office is beautiful. The staff is always super welcoming and Dr. Knopman has the friendliest bedside manner of any doctor I’ve met. After trying to have a baby for almost a year with no success Dr. Knopman had all my fertility tests run within a couple weeks of my first visit, and I got pregnant with my son on my first cycle of IUI. All my friends who’ve used CCRM have had success too. (We’re all ‘older’ moms).” – KK
If you have any questions about the IUI process or would like to start your IUI journey with CCRM, please visit contact us today.